Custom made hookah heads can be designed to meet your personal preferences such as: Size, depth of tobacco chamber, fitting socket and color. The clay and firing process used is "functional stoneware" which makes the product very durable, high resistance to temperature and can be used in a dishwasher. This custom made hookah heads can be made as shown or be modified to your requirements ($48 each). See our custome made page
HOW TO THROW HOOKAH HEAD - Step-by-step ILLUSTRATION (also called shisha or nargile)
1. Use about 1 3/4 lb. of clay for the dimensions you see here and throw the shape you prefer. This illustration is a hookah bowl 4-1/2" wide and 4" height wet (without the base neck). Leave a hole on the bottom as if it was a planting pot. Harden the bowl a bit prior to the next step using a torch or a dryer.
Throw a cylinder
Create the desired shape
Use a calipers to verify size
To harden the bowl, torch a bit
2. Use about 1/2 lb. of clay to make the hookah bowl's top with about 1/4" thickness. It help if you have two wheels so that the bowl can remain on one wheel while throwing the base on a different wheel. Trim with a pin-tool to size and place on top. Make a hole with a pin-tool to allow air to escape as you create the proper hookah burning chamber's cavity.
Throw a flat form and trim to size
Place on top of pot
Make a hole for air to escape
3. Connect two pieces by compressing and adjusting to required dimensions and depth. You may want to use a torch to harden the bowl before applying compression pressure to the top. Make sure the middle hole remains open through the process.
Connect bowl ant top
Verify size with calipers
Push top to the desired depth
Finalize shape and smooth
4. Dry slowly partially covered. When clay is leather-hard, use a MKM decorating disk to mark where you wish the holes to be and drill / punch the holes. Then, flip bowl upside down for trimming.
Mark holes location
Use 1/4" clay hole puncher
Make the holes
Flip bowl / head upside down
5. Trim bowl and spray a bit to keep the bottom wet to properly attach to the hookah's base neck. If making more than one hookah head, it is easier to throw the base neck off-the-hump. The inside dimensions of the base is very important for proper fitting and it is 1-1/8" after firing. Take shrinkage into account. In our case, our clay shrinks total of 11%. The base neck height in this example is 1-1/2" tall.
Trim bottom to shape
Throw base neck off-the-hump
Measure for right fit (30mm wet clay)
Attach to hookah bowl
6. Make a coil to place between the bowl and the neck and smooth while the wheel is turning.